Monday, March 27, 2006

Size Matters!!

Who said size doesnt matter??

Considering that i was built along the lines of a tank i know how much it matters.
I have always been a fat kid no, not a cute chubby child but big stocky kid.And it never bothered me much.Friends from school days still call me moti which i never treated as a slur but as a pet name.Another friend used to call me "Aloo"!!Naah i had a thick hide and these nicks didnt bother me .What bothered me was going to a clothing store and trying on free size clothes and by the time i realize that theres no way in hell and heaven that my full body is going to get into the garment i would be blue in my face and panting for "amma"!!After repeated embarassements my mom started stitching for me!!



But as i grew size would always be a problem my feet would grow every six months and my mom would threaten me that she would have to start binding my feet the way they did in Japan!!If i went to buy jeans the sales man would see me and point me to the unisex rack(apparently the jeans companies dont consider making jeans for women of size greater than 32).I grew up looking like the result of "what happens when an elephant meets a blue whale? joke".Another side issue was having a very pretty mother and yes i know children are prejudiced towards their parents but this is the truth shes small,feminine,Very fair,Big eyes and straight hair and if i forgot to mention very pretty.God decided to play a genetic joke on me i went after my dad and thereby look like a female version of him which is well not saying much.Whenever my mom and i went out if i called out ",mummy" half the store would freeze and stare at both of us!! I have often considered shouting things like " I am adopted" , " They picked the wrong baby in the hospital","She is my step mother" but decency and common sense would prevail.I took the easier way out and call my mom by her name..I know I know very scandalising but what to do... Kuch tho karna hi tha !!



One good thing of my weight was that i didnt get ragged .when a friend and i were stopped by college seniors one of them remarked that i looked like i would rag them back and thus sent me away!And of course a lot of my peers on the first day in hostel gave me a lot of respect till they realised that i was also a first year student!!



Oh after 21 years of crticism and advice i finally decided i am going to lose weight so i called up all those people who have ads like "Lose 20 Kilos" "you can do it,I did it bcoz of ______" but when i heard the packet of 5000 Rs per Kilo and My targetted weight loss being a 2 digit number i decided to do it on my own and after numerous consultations with family doctors i started my diet... For some one who loves to eat for taste and loves aloo i became the "i-eat-on-time" fell in love with salad,Can drink black coffee without acting as if i know how socrates felt when he took hemlock,Can say no to second portions of anything without twitching an eyebrow...



I dont know whether i feel healthier but i sure love the "Oh my god i cant believe you have lost so much !!!" Whenever i meet my friends after a long time !! And its so great to walk into a store knowing that there will be at least something that fits me.ANother thrilling moment was when i had gone to buy a Blazer and the Sales Executive was like "Ma'am L would be big please try M".Well i would have done Cartwheels if i knew how to do it that is.{sob}bringing tears of joy to my eyes!



But i recently discovered another problem...whenever i go shopping i seem to be buying a lot more mainly because it fits rather than i like it!! EGAD!!!Some one help me... will soon have to join SA(Shoppers Anonymous)

2 Comments:

Blogger Reji said...

Cool.. I want someone else to read this (You know who..). Alraedy gave the link...

8:59 AM  
Blogger Karthik Subramani said...

hey , nice blog name ...

i too had a similar experiences when i was a kid , trying on standard sizes and finding out that they were made for "lesser" mortals :)

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home