Friday, April 07, 2006

Love and Romance

Love is a magical word.The one which makes you think of Red Roses,Moon light,Hindi movie sagas,white clouds blah blah at least its supposed to be.I guess something is wrong with me because i am not the romantic kind i mean when i see a hindi movie with the same ghisa pita dialogue i am the one making retching noises in the last seat.And i even tried reading a few love stories.

Experiment 1: M&B "i looked into his eyes and i drowned in his love";"I could feel my heart beat racing".. well these kind of stuff crack me up.Seriousy yaar till half the book they will be hating each other which wouldnt prevent them from kissing(!) and suddenly they will realise they are in love.I used to flip back and see if i missed a chapter.

Eperiment 2: Another M & B : Now in the first 10 pages the "hero" and "heroine" would brush each other and electricity would surge!!My exact thought was" oh my god.. if we could connect something to this book our country's electricity problem would be resolved"

So yup i gave up on my experiments i am definitely not a romantic.

But the one book i love is Erich Segal's "Love Story".It's a very beautiful book which doesnt have the Prince charming and any other mushy stuff.It has two non perfect people falling in love and being perfect together.They have their faults and are learning to live and love.And for me that is real.

I have seen a few Campus loves which very frankly gives love a bad name.I heard a proposal which went something like "Think of it like a 4 year commitment".!!.Never knew that love could be planned in short term ranges.

But i also know people who have met their life partners and when i see them together its amazing what they share.They dont hold hands or anything but there is something that binds them like a big bubble around them even when they are in 2 corners of a room.That coupled with the fact that they have the ability to laugh together and be natural about their relationship that is in my words love.

I found this beautiful poem on love and since i write drivel under the name of poetry it's my favourite medium.

If thou must love me, let it be for nought
Except for love's sake only. Do not say
'I love her for her smile--her look--her way
Of speaking gently,--for a trick of thought
That falls in well with mine, and certes brought
A sense of pleasant ease on such a day'--
For these things in themselves, Beloved, may
Be changed, or change for thee,--and love, so wrought,
May be unwrought so. Neither love me for
Thine own dear pity's wiping my cheeks dry,--
A creature might forget to weep, who bore
Thy comfort long, and lose thy love thereby !
But love me for love's sake, that evermore
Thou mayst love on, through love's eternity.

-- Elizabeth Barrett Browning

3 Comments:

Blogger Reji said...

Maybe you should propose the idea of generating power from romantic novels to the electricity board. Do you realise that it is the best reusable and non-exhaustible resource that the mankind can get!!!! Oh man!! you could win the next Nobel Prize!!!

5:42 AM  
Blogger Preethi said...

Nice one..
Even I never understand how they can feel all those things in such a short span of time..
Love should grow onto you like old wine and it will get better by the day... This is what I feel..

And yes, even I loved \'Love Story\'. Did yo try reading \'Oliver\'s Story\'? I remember I had written something about it sometime back!

5:48 AM  
Blogger Harsh said...

hmmm... something which I also believe fervently... 'Love Story' struck a chord somewhere when I read it for the 1st time... and it really and succintly defines all that love stands for...

4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home